1. What is the story behind your twitch channel name?
Grumpus part was given to me by my wife. I’m a grump when I haven’t had my coffee. Figured, slap Dad on there and I have a somewhat original name, thanks to my daughter.
2. What is your video game history/background and all time favourite game?
Played since NES days back in the 80’s. Favorite game, that’s a tough one. I would probably go with Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64 and 3DS). It’s tough to pick considering almost 30 years of gaming.
3. What/who inspired you to start streaming?
I would say it was more of the idea of streaming. I had the setup and just found myself with the right equipment and said, what the hell? Let’s give this a go on some horrible internet.
I can’t think of one person that inspired me, it was more of a collective. From what few streamers I watched, I enjoyed the community and interactions that were had.
4. When did you start streaming?
Late December 2017
5. How did you find the first few weeks/months of streaming? (any funny stories/mistakes/highlights?)
First weeks were boring, finding my groove and working out kinks with the internet. Even after a month, you should have a check list or you’ll go 15 minutes into streaming without hitting that “Go live” button.
6. How did you grow your stream? How did you network?
Networking with small streamers, joining groups with people who have the same interests. The important thing out of all of it, it should be genuine.
Yeah, you’re trying to grow, but you also want to have a friendship, that comes first.
7. What has been your proudest moment while streaming?
Getting that first clip by a viewer from a celebrative moment in a game.
8. How did you find the technical side of streaming? Setting up your stream, etc?
From the outside it can feel daunting, but after a few hours of messing with settings and testing things out. It’s relatively simple. There’s a huge number of guides and communities that can help, from reddit, to YouTube or even teams like The British Nerd Network.
9. What do you enjoy most about your streaming career
Interacting with the viewers.
10. What don't you enjoy so much about streaming?
The second guessing or doubt that comes with it. Picking a game and then after a few streams you think to yourself “I didn’t get many viewers on that.” Then you find yourself figuring out what game to play next, when your forgetting the most important thing. Consistency.
Jumping from one thing to the next won’t help. In moderation sure, without a steady schedule of this or that, you’re doing yourself a disservice in trying to grow an audience.
11. What are you short term and long term goals for your stream?
Short term: Grow an organic audience / fan base.
Long term: Keep that fan base entertained while continuing to improve.
12. What advice would you give anyone looking to start streaming?
If you’re doing it solely to “Get rich”, do something different.
13. Finally, what other streamers do you enjoy watching?
JoeR247, HeyLookItsAlex, Jimmylurks, Banlish and Vulcan_210 to name several.
Grumpus_Dad is a variety Twitch streamer, focused currently on Stardew Valley, Forza Horizon 3 and Rogue Legacy, with the occasional multiplayer game for co-op streams. Also, a Hype Squad member for The British Nerd Network.
You can find him on Twitch at www.twitch.tv/grumpus_dad and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/GrumpusDad