1. What is the story behind your Twitch channel name?
So when I was younger I had a friend that was older than me and when I went to senior school he got me to sit with all the older kids on the bus in. I sat there and dare not say a word but the things they would speak about would make me smile.
I would sit there not talking grining my ass off so got the nickname Smiler. Smiler was always taken so started to use SM1L3R.
2. What is your video game history/background and all time favourite game?
I used to smash SNES and Sega Mega drive back in the day but what really got me into gaming was BF2. I played that game in the summer holidays like it was going out of fashion, then got into computers and then it snowballed from there.
I would have to say the old school BF series of games is my all time fav and also Crash Team Racing with my pals!
3. What/who inspired you to start streaming?
A friend called Ryan kept telling me to start as whenever me and my friends play games we always have a laugh together so thought why not share the laughs!
4. When did you start streaming?
This year as a NY resolution.
5. How did you find the first few weeks/months of streaming? (any funny stories/mistakes/highlights?)
So a friend has a good following on Insta and he would play with me most nights. He would put on his story that we were streaming then next min we would have about 20 - 25 people watching. It was a bit overwhelming at the start but it died off.
Funniest moment streaming was playing CS:GO. We all went back after some time away from it and was really low rank. We ended up just messing around and winning doing stupid stuff!
6. How did you grow your stream? How did you network?
I'm still really new only streaming since Jan 2018 so its still growing.
I would say joining Team BNN was the best thing so far I've done. Someone approached me from twitter and I thought what the heck I'll JOIN! Since then its been non stop support and constant chats with people! Some times its hard to keep up but I got a few friends to join in and its going really well. I have never felt so welcome anywhere!
7. What has been your proudest moment while streaming?
Actually getting some people who came to see my friend from Insta to stay, watch me play and enjoy themselves!
8. How did you find the technical side of streaming? Setting up your stream, etc?
Im a techy so did some reading and followed the instructions online. (Job title - Professional Googler)
9. What do you enjoy most about your streaming career?
Chatting to different people and getting good feedback. I had someone come in the other night and he said your stream is amazing keep it up. Instant smile on my face.
10. What don't you enjoy so much about streaming?
The silence when no one is watching. I like to interact with people and that's what I did it for initially so just want to chat and have fun with people :)
11. What are you short term and long term goals for your stream?
Entertain as many people as possible and maybe get a small community of regular followers coming in to watch most streams so I can get to know them.
Letting people who enjoy watching me get to know each other and bringing people together.
12. What advice would you give anyone looking to start streaming?
Be patient and take your time when you first start. Ask questions to other streamers and network, network, network!
13. Finally, what other streamers do you enjoy watching?
Shock! Its the Doc. Just him being a weirdo on stream and screaming random stuff makes me laugh so hard! Also Paul my buddy @ementalo plug plug plug as we say :)
SM1L3R is a nerd who streams on twitch. He streams mostly FPS games but dabbles in Rocket League and fun multiplayer games.
Catch him being weird and acting the fool over at www.twitch.tv/SM1L3R and Twitter @_SM1L3R