1. What is the story behind your channel name?
HarlanTV is a relatively new rebrand. My original channel was Har1an, which for obvious reasons wasn't ideal. My gamer tag Harlan is something I've had for years, I think it's the name of an author and I though it was a "cool" name.
2. What is your video game history/background and all time favourite game?
I've been gaming as long as I can remember. Including sneaking into my brothers room to play Doom whilst listening to Iron Maiden (Mum said I was too young to own it myself...). It's been my hobby for so long. Unfortunately my career got in the way for a while meaning I couldn't game much, but now I'm back in the gaming world with a vengeance! All time favourite game has to be Half-Life 2 - It's near perfect.
3. What/Who inspired you to start creating content on the internet?
It was actually the YT channel FunHaus - Bunch of guys, similar age to me, having fun and making content. I thought I'd give it a shot myself.
4. When did you start creating content on the internet?
January 2018! It's been a big year, I've learned a lot.
5. How did you find the first few weeks/months of content creation? (any funny stories/mistakes/highlights?)
First few weeks are tough. Getting in the habit of talking no matter if anyone is watching is hard, but now it comes quite naturally. It was also tough doing a dead stream with hardly any viewers, but when you get people in and chatting, it outweighs the empty streams.
6. How did you grow your channel? How did you network?
Mainly networking, I joined discords, chatted to people, learned from them. I naively was one of the Twitter retweet people, I quickly learned that doesn't help. Neither does F2F.
7. What has been your proudest moment so far?
Quite recently, the game dev for an indie game I was streaming watched my WHOLE stream. It was awesome. He even publicised my stream and I got a good few followers out of it. I was buzzing after it!
8. How did you find the technical side of content creation? Setting up your channel, etc?
Technical side was fairly easy. There's heaps of online videos and guides to help. This part came kinda naturally to me (even if my stream does cut out randomly every so often!)
9. What do you enjoy most about your content creation hobby/career?
Having one stranger drop into your stream and talk to you is weirdly heart warming. That person is taking time out of their day to come and watch/interact with you. It's so cool.
10. What don't you enjoy so much about your content creation hobby/career?
The lonely streams can still happen now and again. It's key to just forget about them and move on.
11. What are you short term and long term goals for your channel/s?
Short term: Get regular, I've been erratic all year, but now I have a bit more time I'm aiming for at least 2 streams a week Long term: SO MANY goals! Co-streams, YT video series, new discord, joke content. It's gonna be a big 12 months!
12. What advice would you give anyone looking to get into content creation?
My advice is speak to people. Speak to anyone and everyone who does it. You don't have to listen to all their advice, but you might just pick up a couple of things that will help you along the way,.
13. Finally, what other content creators do you enjoy watching and recommend people check out?
I watch spooleo, pizzaposse96 (Jon from Funhaus) and of course JoeR247 ;)
Harlan is a twitch streamer and YouTube content creator for HarlanTV. He streams everything from competitve muliplayers to baby simulators (typically all whilst drinking)
Find him at www.twitch.tv/harlantv and on twitter at www.twitter.com/ThisIsHarlanTV
Want to take part? Click this Link!