1. What is the story behind your channel name?
I'm a massive fan of horror films and grew up watching tons of 80's slasher films including ranging from obvious franchises like Nightmare on Elm Street to Friday the 13th, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and so on and forth.
So the Psychotic portion of the name comes from that. Enigma however is just a cool word. That and I find the whole Enigma code machine just fascinating. Don't understand it but it is what it is.
2. What is your video game history/background and all time favourite game?
Resident Evil 2 on PlayStation 1. That game holds a dear place in my heart because technically it was the first game I ever played (When I was only 3 years old. Wasn't good at it then obviously haha).
Reason I love it though is because the PlayStation 1 my family had was in my room and my dad used to play it when he thought I was sleeping. Instead I was just watching him play through the whole thing. I don't think i would love horror as much as I do if i never watched my dad play through it.
3. What/Who inspired you to start creating content on the internet?
I originally wanted to do Animation full time on YouTube, so I was inspired by creators like Eddsworld, ShadowLeggy, OneyNG and Harry Partridge (Still am).
When it comes to gameplay, I'd say Markiplier originally got me into the whole Let's Play thing. I don't watch much of his content these days, but he's definitely the one who inspired me to get into gameplay videos.
4. When did you start creating content on the internet?
Technically 2008. Back then though it was under a totally different channel name and I was putting out the worst animations and art videos you could probably ever imagine (Ever used the line and circle tool in MS Paint? God knows I did for a while).
With the channel I'm using now, I've been creating content regularly since January 2013.
5. What is your content creation setup. Specs and accessories?
My set up is VERY basic. My pc is an ASUS ROG G511JW Gaming Laptop that I use strictly to record and edit videos. The capture card I use is an Elgato HD60, However when it comes to most 5th and 6th gen consoles, I tend to use a bog standard dazzle to capture footage.
The quality for it isn't the best, but it's not terrible My editing software of choice is Premiere Pro CC 2014 (Because they totally butchered titles in later releases). Commentary is captured with Audacity.
6. How did you find the first few weeks/months of content creation? (any funny stories/mistakes/highlights?)
First few months were pretty slow, But really enjoyable as back then I was 100% PS2 focused. So it allowed me to go back and play games that I loved when I was younger. Online presence was non existent but it was still a ton of fun. Also. For your first video. For the love of god, DO NOT FORCE YOURSELF TO "BE FUNNY". It will result in the most cringe-worth content you can imagine. Trust me.
My GTA IV BOGT video was absolutely dreadful. That and if you use a dazzle, make sure the video quality looks fine on your screen, or it will look like you recorded it straight of a VHS player.
7. How did you grow your channel? How did you network?
I got lucky with a few PS2 videos. That helped my channel grow fairly rapidly from 2014-2016. However I didn't really get into social media until 2017. I'm still learning in terms of networking now but I basically just comment on something I like seeing and go from there. See if a relationship builds from it or not.
Recently i've been trying to help other small creators show off their content on twitter by checking their content out and retweeting with a small review of the video, However i'm not sure how effective that is for them.
8. What has been your proudest moment so far?
It's hard to say. 3 things come to mind but I can't really choose. Either hitting 1k subscribers on YouTube, Hitting 132k views on my first 007 From Russia With Love PS2 episode OR recently being able to get back into animation and actually releasing a proper frame by frame animated Simpsons parody intro for the first Simpsons Hit and Run video.
It's hard to choose. Probably the animation.
9. How did you find the technical side of content creation? Setting up your channel, etc?
Fairly easy. I've had a few channels from 2008 to 2012 so I kind of knew my way around setting up a channel by that point. Can't say now though considering how much YouTube has changed since then.
10. What do you enjoy most about your content creation hobby/career?
There's a few things. Either playing a game I love or am very interested in, Being able to do Co-Op videos with close friends of mine and the editing.....Sometimes.
If there's a good enough visual gag to add in, I'm more than excited to do it.
11. What don't you enjoy so much about your content creation hobby/career?
Maybe the odd video here and there not getting much traction. More often than not, it's a video i'm either really happy with in terms of commentary or gameplay, OR something I've spent a lot of time working on like a video with tons of visual gags or animations. Other than that, I love it.
12. What are you short term and long term goals for your channel/s?
Short term is to start working on the 1k Duke Nukem Forever series. That's going to take a bit because
A. The Game Sucks.
B. I'm doing on screen shoutouts for everyone who has subscribed. It doesn't matter if that account is dead or if that account doesn't watch my content anymore. They're getting a shoutout. The least I can do to say thank you.
Long term goals? Not too sure. I guess hit 2k, Maybe get more into the art and animation side of YouTube.
13. What advice would you give anyone looking to get into content creation?
- Do it because you love it. Not for fame or money.
- Be patient. Success doesn't happen over night and might not happen for a while. I only just hit 1K recently and i've been doing this since 2013.
- Networking is Key. Use social media as much as you can.
- DON'T SUB4 -Most important of all is to have fun!
14. Finally, what other content creators do you enjoy watching and recommend people check out?
There's so many people to say. i'll drop a short list. Sorry to those I don't include.
- Petplayer976 (Really Talented Artist and Animator. Good friend of mine)
- ShinobiNando (Does great informative unboxings and reviews)
- MidniteBurrito (Does Gameplay videos and has a really good podcast running)
- Horror With Heidi Gaming
A lot of people but I highly recommend all of them.
Are you a fan of Early 2000s gaming nostalgia, Horror Games and Mediocre Artwork and Animations? Check out ThePsychoticEnigma on YouTube here - https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePsychoticEnigma
You can also follow me and chat on social media (Don't worry, I don't bite) https://twitter.com/PsychoEnigmaYT
Want to take part? Click this link!